'Splain please re: mixer, alsa, pulseaudio and tvtime??

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Sun Jul 26 14:51:42 UTC 2009

Thanks Michael;

On Sun, 2009-07-26 at 14:25 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 04:42:57 -0400, William wrote:

> Above is about your onboard audio chipset, not about the tv card.
> Analog/digital here refers to audio, not cable tv.
> I still think you cannot expect any tv sound when using the analog
> input/capture channels of your audio chipset.
> Hence there either must be a way to make tv card and onboard
> audio talk together digitally (and in turn have something that puts
> the audio chipset into the desired mode), or to have the driver supply an
> A/V stream on /dev/video1 (which is what some of the success reports
> suggest, as they user mplayer to play back that mpeg stream).
>

> Yeah, it's not really a duplicate anymore, but not a PulseAudio bug either
> since switching on a silent audio channel [with tvtime] yields silence, of
> course.

Of course.  I thought I would first see if I could get my TV tuner
working with ALSA and then proceed to put PulseAudio back into the mix.
I am not one of those who has given up on PulseAudio.  Sound is complex
enough to have an intervening server a la Xwindows.

> It would really be interesting to retest the tvtime+mplayer solution.
> Decoding an mpeg a/v stream with mplayer sounds really plausible.

I will waste (spend) a rainy Sunday afternoon here trying to get mplayer
going, both in conjunction with tvtime and independently.

> What other capabilities for audio the tv card driver has might be
> found out by seeking help from its author (or by examining the kernel
> module source code and inline comments).

I am sure you must be getting tired of this issue, but ...
I have the latest kernel source code + git here and could use some
suggestions on where to start.  I have just begun to look at kernel code
so I am sure my way will be tortuous, however, I am willing to give it a
try -- reading the comments and documentation at least.

To save me some fruitless time, would you suggest I look at the 'tuner'
driver, cx23885, cx23887, cx25840 or something else?  Maybe at the
motherboard sound chips?

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 11, Gnome 2.26.3