Why Fedora is for experts only?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Jul 26 15:31:15 UTC 2009

gilpel at altern.org wrote:

> I suppose you're not both wrong, but there are some considerations:
>
> 1) some peole need a story to get interest into a subject.

That is not usually the case on support lists.

> 2) teckies often write short messages and then come back with precisions.
> I prefer to give all the information in one shot.

This is fine, as long as it is reverent information, and only on one
problem. Mixing several problems in one message hinders solving them
because you end up with threads for each problem intertwined, making
it harder to follow.

> 3) market share is important to me and I don't believe we can say things
> such as: "Ubuntu will take care of market share". What if, for example,
> Shuttleworth decided to scrap the project tomorrow?

While it is important to you, and important to companies like
RedHat, this is not the forum to be discussing it. This is for
solving technical problems with Fedora. Fedora is the wrong
distribution for gaining market share. It is not aimed at general
users. It is more a test bed for new ideas. These new ideas
sometimes do not work out. t is not uncommon for them to still be in
development or testing to see what works when used by people other
ten the developers. One of the worst things that could happen to
Linux would be if Fedora had a large "market share".

But there is no reason that Fedora has to be usable to the general
public. Linux is all about choice. Pick a distribution that is
targeted at what you need from your computer. You have choices like
Mandriva and CentOS besides Ubuntu if you are after a more stable
platform. This is NOT Windows, where one distribution tries to be
all things for all people.

> Besides, Ubuntu is on 6 months releases just as Fedora, so not having to
> upgrade is not a feature offered by Ubuntu anymore than Fedora. Of course,
> there's a long term release, but I don't believe it's the one most newbies
> are using.
>
> Finally, market share has a lot to do with technical considerations.

But what does market share have to do with Fedora?If anything,
Fedora is aimed at a nitch market. It appears to be doing a good job
of filling the needs of that market.

Mikkel