is there a burt on ifconfig for fedora11?

Sharpe, Sam J sam.sharpe+lists.redhat at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 18:20:19 UTC 2009

2009/7/26 Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>:
> On Sun, 2009-07-26 at 18:32 +0100, Sharpe, Sam J wrote:
>> 2009/7/26 Sarkar, Kaushik <Kaushik.Sarkar at netapp.com>:
>> > Don’t know from where ifconfig getting netmask as 255.255.0.0 when I set it
>> > for 255.255.255.0
>> >

>> I do...
>>
>> > root at kaushik_Fedora11 /> cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
>> <snip>
>> >
>> > NETMASK=255.225.255.0
>>
>> Read that very very carefully... ;o)
>>
>> I think because 255.225.255.0 is not a valid netmask, it's defaulting
>> to 255.255.0.0
>>
>> (aren't a second pair of eyes wonderful!)
> ----
> it's a valid netmask but it is one that is highly unlikely to work
> because it appears to have a typo

No it isn't a valid netmask - that was my point - perhaps I should
have been clearer about the fact it has a typo and that's why it
wouldn't work.

A valid netmask is a set of 1s, followed by a set of 0s. The posted
netmask (with assumed typo) is:

11111111111000011111111100000000

That does not fit the definition of a netmask and it certainly can't
be mapped to a prefix, because the Prefix is calculated by the the
number of preceding 1s!

--
Sam