Fedora lacks obvious support for /usr/share

I find no easily location information on actually sharing /usr/share. It was introduced by Sun in SunOS as a filesystem which could be shared between all machines on a given release to save disk space. Disk space is now cheap, but it would be nice to have a common place to put things shared on a site basis.

Currently I use the /common filesystem for my site local stuff, and I'm thinking that something in the OS would be appropriate to the original concept for /usr/share, not for disk saving but for consistency. Since the stuff there doesn't hurt if there is material present which is not needed, I wonder if I'm missing an obvious tool to take advantage of this.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen tmr com>