fedora 11 worst then ever release

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Jul 27 12:21:03 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 11:02:46 +0100,
  Terry Barnaby <terry1 at beam.ltd.uk> wrote:
> On this subject, why isn't the standard anaconda package for F11 updated
> when bugs are found and fixed ? I, amongst others I'm sure, make their
> own local
> re-spins of F11 that we can install on our local systems. One of the
> major items needed in a respin is the anaconda installer as if this has bugs
> for our systems installing is very difficult. All other packages can be fixed
> by a later yum update. If anaconda updated packages were released as part
> of the normal F11 updates then respins built with pungi would have all of
> the latest installation bugs fixed.

I think it is partly a time and priority issue. In the past there was a lot
of point of maintaining a stable anaconda since it would have little use.
Doing that would take time away from work on the development version. So
it didn't seem to be a good trade off.

Nowadays I'd like to see that rethought. There is more emphasis on people
doing custom spins (since livecd-creator makes it easy) and I think anaconda
fixes for stable releases have a lot more value now than they did in the past.
However, I am not sure what the resource situation is. The anaconda guys
seem to have been doing a lot of scrambling to get ready for F11. And there
appears to be a lot of work on anaconda being done for F12.