What is this .gvfs directory?

Ron Yorston rmy at tigress.co.uk
Mon Jul 27 14:32:52 UTC 2009

Ron Yorston <rmy at tigress.co.uk> wrote:
>john wendel wrote:
>>On 07/23/2009 01:15 AM, Ron Yorston wrote:
>>> According to a thread on the fedora-test list it's possible to prevent
>>> the gvfs-fuse-daemon starting by setting an environment variable:

>>> However, I've been unable to find out where to set that environment
>>> variable.  Although gvfsd is run as the user logging in it doesn't
>>> have that users environment.
>>
>>Maybe /etc/profile ???
>
>No, that's not it.

OK, I finally found a way to inject the required variable into gvfsd's
environment.  Create this file:

   /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/00-gvfs-disable-fuse.sh

containing:

   GVFS_DISABLE_FUSE=1
   export GVFS_DISABLE_FUSE

The name of the file is important as it has to be run before the script
that starts dbus (00-start-message-bus.sh).

You could set the variable in 00-start-message-bus.sh itself, but since
it isn't marked as a configuration file it might get clobbered by an
update.

Ron