Re: 'Splain please re: mixer, alsa, pulseaudio and tvtime??

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Michael Schwendt wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 04:42:57 -0400, William wrote:

I have external receptacles on my motherboard at the back of my computer
box -- one light green for incoming sound, and one light red (pink) for
a microphone. Double checked visually and in my motherboard manual.
*However* my tv tuner card has no sound output receptacle, did not come
with a line to use as an external connection line and shows no external
hookups in its manual.
Yes, it's a known fact by now. Nobody asks you to put a cable where
you *cannot* put a cable. ;-) The remaining problem, however, is that
there must be a theory about how your tv card "produces" audio then?

I suspect that there is a device in /dev that you read to get the
sound, and pass it to the sound hardware. Maybe more then one if the
card produces both analog and digital sound output, and/or has an FM
tuner.

That is commonly the case, and I have been told that the only common application able to do the digital is mythtv (that was FC9 info, may no longer be the case). I highly commend trying vlc first, it is less complex to get working than mythtv. Yes, damned by faint praise.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen tmr com>