Option to select desktop

John Aldrich jmaldrich at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 27 17:34:51 UTC 2009

On Monday 27 July 2009, Kam Leo wrote:

> The Gnome Desktop Manager (GDM) used to present a button (Session)
> that was visible on the login screen. With F11 the button is now
> hidden until a user name is clicked. Click a user name or "other" and
> a desktop configuration menu should appear at the bottom of the
> screen. Clicking on the "Gnome" portion of "Sessions: Gnome" should
> present a pop-up list of the installed desktops.
>
> By the way, the new configuration menu is poorly implemented.
> "Language", "Keyboard", and "Sessions:" are all scrunched up on the
> 800x600 default setting of my display. Some things don't get better
> with time. Please go back to the old GDM look and feel of F8.

I concur. I liked the "old" way much better... Also, I have to say I've got
a pretty peppy system (Athlon 64, 2200 Mhz, 1 Gb shared ram) but it's dog
slow sometimes.... I'm wondering what the heck is going on, as I'm not
swapping to disk a whole lot, and I've still got available RAM:
[john at SLAVE1 ~]$ free
Mem:        884524     716996     167528          0      19232     191736
-/+ buffers/cache:     506028     378496
Swap:      6201048     290032    5911016

So, why is my system so dog-slow? Is it the fact that I've got an
integrated video card instead of a high-end gaming video card or something?