[fedora-list] What the hell are these dirs?

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Mon Jul 27 17:44:01 UTC 2009

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:

> Anyway, it's gone now.  Unfortunately, even without out the "-v", I've
> barely made a dent.  This is going to take a long, long, long time.

and you are still using 2 programs to do deletions, so it is going to
take a long time.

if you do not have them removed by now, i suggest you follow what i wrote
in other post of 'Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 08:15:45 +0000'.

you can prove this by opening a virtual terminal and run 'df' at a 1 min
intervals with your current 'find/rm'.

after about 5 displays 'df', <ctrl+c> to end your 'find/rm', then do a drag
and drop of;

  rm -fR [0-9]*;rm -fR [a-l]*;rm -fR [m-z]*;rm -fR [A-L]*;rm -fR [M-Z]*

into a virtual terminal and run it.

from a 2nd vt, run 'df' as above and you should see a greater size change.

only problem you will have, as i mentioned before, you may have to change
to span within the '[ ]'.

you can set up a 'for i' loop and pass 0-9, A-Z, a-z as $i, 'rm -fR [$i]*'.

and if you like, you can add 'df /dev/sdx', 'x' being drive/partition that
files are on and see that you are deleting.

one note of reasoning, if there are several hundred/thousand of files that
start with '$i' you may need a double loop '[$i$j]' to get files with out
have 'too many files' error.

--

peace out.

tc,hago.