I don't understand CUPS any more

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 17:03:35 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 11:31 AM, Tim Waugh<twaugh at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-07-28 at 17:11 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> I'm trying to set up a printer attached to machine A
>> so that I can print from laptop B.
> [...]
>> Both A and B are running Fedora-11.
>
> The way this is meant to work is:
>
> 1. On machine A, set 'Share printers connected to this system', either
> using System->Administration->Printing or with the CUPS web interface
>
> 2. On laptop B, adjust the firewall so that IPP UDP packets are allowed
> in.
>
> 3. On machine A, plug in the printer.
>
> The queue is automatically created and shared.
>
> You can do things in a different order, it just might take more time for
> the queue to show up on the laptop.
>
> Tim.

As far as I know the firewall on both machines will need to be
modified. I'm trying to remember this from memory but I believe there
is an option for IPP and one is labeled as (Server) and one is labeled
as (Client). Machine A will need the server option checked and machine
B will need the client option checked.

Richard