How to convert from mbox delivery to maildir?

I had a problem in another thread in which it was suggested I use maildir instead of mbox as a spool store. I've had a good old google around, and I can't for the life of me find any one place that really tells me anything.

  Does anyone have any pointers?

For ref., I have a fetchmail -> sendmail -> procmail set up (although the sendmail/procmail are pretty much the default install), which dump incoming mail to /var/spool/mail/<user> [I have spamassassin in the equation as well, with one proc recipe to dump spam into a sep. spool mbox].

I then use dovecot with IMAP/POP locally to get that mail into ThunderBird, and also serve it up (that that's still in the spool) from squirrelmail.

I plan to fully move all incoming mail accesses to IMAP, with users (well, the family :) ) filing from the IMAP Inbox to local folders as and when, with no POP fetching or auto copying frmo the IMAP folder into Local/Inbox. For that, it'd be good to have a reliable mail store, which sounds like I need to bin the spool area.

How does 'maildir' fit into this? What manitains it? Where would root's/other-local mail go - still to /var/spool?

--
[neil fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil fnx ~]# ls -l .signature