Blank Display

stan gryt2 at q.com
Wed Jul 29 10:45:58 UTC 2009

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 02:18:15 -0700 (PDT)
Morisso Buffalo <manguyia at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks for response,
>
> am using fedora 9

This is problematic.  Fedora 9 has reached EOL and thus there are no
updates available for it.  That would have been my next suggestion.
In the terminal logged in as root, to run
yum update
Can you get the F10 or F11 DVD to do an install.  They are still active
and so you can get updates.  The reason I suggest this is that updates
might fix your problem without further intervention.  It could be that
the install image and your hardware have an incompatibility that was
fixed by an update.

> installed from DVD
> running default Gnome
>
> VGA compatible controller: intel corp82845G/GL{Brookdale-G}/GE
> chipset Intergrated Graphic device
>
> some of the log messages i got (though i didnt understand them) are:
>  PCI interupt link (LNKD) X0 disabledprefetch window
> disabledAvahi-daemon(2120): Successifully dropped root
> privileges.       warning:-No NSS support for mDNS detected, consider
> install nss-mdnsAcpid connected from 2222(0;0)  debug: gdmserver
> started X server

I'm not sure I completely understand them either, but they all look
like warnings.  The important one is that gdm, the gnome session
manager was able to start X.

>  /var/log/Xorg.0.log gave me "permission denied"

This might be the root of your problem.  What was it doing when it
issued this?  i.e. what were the lines immediately before this was
logged? They will indicate the action that failed.

I think it was F9 where root is no longer allowed to log in directly to
the gui unless a setting was changed.  When you say it doesn't let you
log in, you mean as a normal user, right?

How did you create the user you are using to log on?  As part of the
installation?  I'm just wondering if that user failed to get
permissions for X somehow.  Normally all that is taken care of as part
of the user add process.  You could try adding another user using the
command useradd from a terminal as root.
useradd <some username>
Then use the new user to try to log in to X.  Does response differ?

It could have something to do with SElinux.  Is there a yellow
star somewhere on the X screen when you get to X?  Click on it and see
if there are any SElinux warnings about X.  You could try the
recommended solution from SETroubleshooter (the yellow star).  If that
doesn't work, you could try, as root, doing the following.
setenforce 0
This will put selinux into permissive mode so it won't stop actions,
but will only warn.  Can a normal user then log in?

You could try a web search for F9 and X11 and intel and see if any
problems similar to yours with a solution come up.

> i also tried init 3 thing and it gave gave me the X but with
> different settings

It seems this isn't the issue for you.  Rather X is configured
correctly, you just don't have permission to access it.  So if the
first configuration was better, you could remove the xorg.conf
from /etc/X11, as root.
rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf

> thanks alot atleast i have an X. am still learning

This link on the fedora site just came through the list recently.
Perhaps it will give you some additional hints.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Xorg/Debugging

But my primary advice to you is to get a later version of Fedora if it
is at all possible, so you can get security and other updates, and
people who can help will have active memory of it.