ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 15:33:46 UTC 2009

On rebooting my F11 desktop machine (wired Ethernet) this morning I got
the following messages, apparently from the NM daemon:

        ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
        e1000e: eth0: NIC Link is Up 100Mbps Full Duplex, Flow Control: RX/TX
        0000:00:19.0: eth0 10/100 speed: disabling TSO
        ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready

after which the boot simply hangs forever. I say it's NM because when
retrying with rhgb disabled, the bootlog gets to:

        Starting NetworkManager:    [OK]

and then hangs forever (but without showing the above messages).

Trying with runlevel 3, the system boots, the first and last line
(ADDRCONF ...) appear, then the net is up. On
checking /var/log/messages, I see the ADDRCONF lines appear starting on
July 26. I last updated NM on the evening of Jul 25, to
NetworkManager-0.7.1-8.git20090708.fc11.x86_64. The rest of the system
is up to date.

If anyone has seen this and knows what it is, please tell. Otherwise
I'll report it to BZ.

poc