Send to this list results in failure notice for hacker-24 at versanet.de

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Wed Jul 29 17:34:53 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 29 July 2009 18:17:39 stan wrote:
> When I sent the message in response to Drive Eaten!!! to
> fedora-list at redhat.com it also seems to have been sent to
> hacker-24 at versanet.de.  This isn't in the to or reply-to header, so it
> seems to have been added by the fedora list server.  I think that is
> probably a problem, break-in attempt.
>
> Am I interpreting this correctly?

No.  No need to panic at all.  You'll see this sort of thing occasionally.
Someone called hacker-24 must be registered to this list.  Presumably he is no
longer at versanet.de, and didn't change his registration on the list.  When
messages go out the mail program at versanet knows there is no account in that
name, so sends a bounce message.  Depending on how it's configured, it's not
so unusual for it to go to the person who sent the message to the list.  It's
annoying but no threat to you.

Anne