[Totally OT] Fedora is over - Hannah-Montana-Linux Rules

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Jul 29 21:19:35 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 29 July 2009, Craig White wrote:
>On Wed, 2009-07-29 at 20:10 +0000, g wrote:
>> john wendel wrote:
>> > I think the interesting part isn't the review (which was a joke) but
>> > rather that there is interest in having a Linux desktop for pre-teen
>> > girls (and maybe some boys). Looks like progress on the mind-share front
>> > to me.
>>
>> i would say it is a marketing ploy by disney to use something that is free
>> to disney to make disney selves more money.

At the time Billy Ray Cyrus was collecting his first royalty check for Boot
Scootin Boogie, I was living in Ashland KY, about 10 miles from his home town.

While I don't know this for a fact, I am under the impression that the Hannah
Montana thing was Miley Cyrus's dads way of letting his girl do her thing as a
walk on during his shows, while only partially concealing that she was his
(Billy Ray Cyrus) child.  I have heard her sing a couple of times & she does
well, and if I was 17 instead of 74, I'd have to figure she was quite a
looker.  Billy Ray, I assume, has his guardian shotgun loaded and at the ready
too.  If she was my girl, I'd sure be standing guard.

>----
>Knowing how the Disney people operate, I would presume that their
>licensing letter/cease and desist has already been generated by their
>legal team.

I don't know for sure that Disney owns that trademark.  This will probably
tell the story though.  The fact that it hasn't already been stepped on is
encouraging cuz its been out at least a month now.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

You may call me by my name, Wirth, or by my value, Worth.
- Nicklaus Wirth