Problems after a yum upgrade from F10 to F11

stan gryt2 at q.com
Thu Jul 30 00:49:15 UTC 2009

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 18:56:26 -0400
"Kevin J. Cummings" <cummings at kjchome.homeip.net> wrote:

> On 07/29/2009 06:14 PM, stan wrote:
> > On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 23:28:57 +0200
> > lars.bjorndal at broadpark.no (Lars Bjørndal) wrote:
> >

> >> I tried that too, without any difference - sorry.
> >>

> > Perhaps you could try some of the other vga options - 0x312, etc.
> > It has been years since I set this up, don't have a list of them
> > anymore. Maybe someone else will give you a better answer.
>
> I'm not sure how accurate this is (some of the x24 and x32 modes
> aren't in the kernel's list for me in F10/F11), but there is a list
> of mode ids at:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_BIOS_Extensions

I tried one of those and it didn't work.  But that brought up a message
saying I just had to hit enter to see the available modes on my machine.

So try vga=795 on the kernel line (which was invalid here), and you
should be able to hit enter for a list of all modes available on your
machine.  I saw 80x25 on my list.  Because the wikipedia pages says
there are no standards anymore for this, it probably depends on your
hardware what is available.  My guess is that normal went away as a
definition (or was changed) between F10 and F11.