Re: Dialup from a fedora machine

Sam Varshavchik wrote:
Stuart McGraw writes:

NetworkManager too wants a device to talk to, with /dev/modem
being the default but since there is no such device (nor anything
I see that looks like it would be an emulated serial device that
talks to the pci modem card), I wasn't able to do much with that.

If, as you say, it's a real modem, it should show up as an ordinary serial device, which would be /dev/ttyS<n>. Standard serial port devices are /dev/ttyS0 through /dev/ttyS3. Any PCI cards that add additional serial devices would probably come up as /dev/ttyS4, and so on.

Also, check the kernel boot messages, with dmesg, for any reference to your modem card.

Yes, see if there's a /dev/ttyACM* device.  My USB-based USR modem gets
set up as /dev/ttyACM0.
-  Silence!  Or I shall replace you with a very small shell script!  -
-                                                - The Wizard of OS  -