fc11, mplayer, pulseaudio, data underrun whiel playing from network.

Steve zephod at cfl.rr.com
Thu Jul 30 01:28:21 UTC 2009

---- Steve <zephod at cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> ---- jack craig <jackc at linuxlighthouse.com> wrote:
> > On 07/27/2009 10:48 AM, jack craig wrote:
> > > my pulseaudio test fine when playing local .wav files, but using it in
> > > a stream gets me data underruns as below.
> > >
> > > i launch the player with, ...
> > >
> > > mplayer -ao alsa -cache 512
> > > http://74.201.24.2:80/live_mapleton_vitalstream_com_kpigfm?MSWMExt=.asf
> > >
> > > and it plays for a few minutes, then the stream chokes and the device
> > > is closed.
> > >

> I have a similar problem with F10 which I reported in this thread:
>
> "Sound problem after upgrading from F9 to F10"
>
> on July 12 but never got any replies. In my case it happens with local files too.
>
> $ aplay /usr/share/system-config-soundcard/sound-sample.wav
> Playing WAVE '/usr/share/system-config-soundcard/sound-sample.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo
> underrun!!! (at least 2216.305 ms long)
>
> which results in log messages similar to what you experienced:
>
> Jul 27 19:35:23 steve pulseaudio[3243]: module-alsa-sink.c: Increasing wakeup watermark to 40.00 ms
>
> I'd like to hear if anyone has a work-around for this because I like to listen to music while I work and the dropouts every couple of seconds are just too distracting.

I've been reading all the Sound/PulseAudio/ALSA threads over the last couple of days and one of the suggested solutions fixed my problem. This solution is in other threads but in case someone is following this one, I'm repeating it here.

Edit /etc/pulse/default.pa. Find the line:

load-module module-hal-detect

and add tsched=0 on the end, then save and restart PulseAudio.

Steve