Dialup from a fedora machine

Stuart McGraw smcg4191 at frii.com
Thu Jul 30 01:46:56 UTC 2009

Patrick wrote:
> Stuart McGraw wrote:
>> So I am trying to setup ppp/dialup (anyone remember
>> that? :-) on my Fedora 11 machine (something I did
>> years ago in FC4 days).  I have a USR-5610B modem
>> in a pci slot.  But Fedora seems not to notice it --
>> when I reboot Anaconda fails to notice any new device
>> and I see no /dev/modem.
>
> You can go to:
> http://www.usr.com/support/product-template.asp?prod=5610b
>
> They have an RPM for Linux. You can also download a PDF file of the
> installation guide which addresses Linux installations (also has some
> troubleshooting information as well).

Thanks!  I'd found the rpm, but not the pdf.  I'll go
grab that too.  After installing it, /dev/ttyS[0-3] and
/dev/modem magically appeared.  I ran NetworkManager
and, set up a new dialup connection (it appears to
use wvdial) clicked "activate", and here I am!  Couldn't
have been easier.

Thanks Fedora! (and also USR for providing Linux
upport).  And thanks too everyone who responded
to my question.  Gotta go get the firewall going
now.