X crashes

Hi,
I've had a lot of problems with X locking up on my Fedora 10 machine
with nvidia legacy drivers, I've an old fx5200. I can still ssh into it,
and was wondering how you restart X remotely. I've tried playing with
init 3, but that hasn't worked.

I'm also having problems with the video blanking for about 0.5s. What
should I be looking for and where wrt to logs.

Thank you very much,
James