Re: X crashes

On Thursday 30 July 2009 12:40:34 James Allsopp wrote:
> Hi,
> I've had a lot of problems with X locking up on my Fedora 10 machine
> with nvidia legacy drivers, I've an old fx5200. I can still ssh into it,
> and was wondering how you restart X remotely. I've tried playing with
> init 3, but that hasn't worked.

init 3 would be text mode, so it wouldn't ;-)  Try 'startx'.

> I'm also having problems with the video blanking for about 0.5s. What
> should I be looking for and where wrt to logs.

/var/log/Xorg.0.log - try to get to it immediately after one of those blanks,
or maybe run 'tail -f /var/log/Xorg.0.log' in a root console, which will print
the log continuously, making it easier for you to get to read it quickly.

Anne

Anne