Fedora 11 does display suspend work for you: CRT vs. LCD

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Fri Jul 31 00:02:46 UTC 2009

On Fedora 11, does your display suspend after the screensaver activates
(assuming that you have asked it to suspend)?  If you know whether it
does or doesn't, please reply, and say whether your display is a CRT or
LCD.  I'm trying to get more information before filing a bug.

(I did create a new test user and try from there, without success.)

I think that LCD / Laptop users mostly care about dimming / blanking
and not about suspending the display, but as a CRT user, I'd like to
save the power.

On Fedora 9, the screensaver (and gnome-power-manager) blanked my
screen and then put it in the low-power suspend mode.  Fedora 11 dims
my screen, but does not put the display into suspend mode, so it still
draws full power.  Diff'ing the code for F9 and F11, and viewing
output from `gnome-power-manager --verbose`, I see no way for the
current G-P-M to suspend the display, as the code that called DPMS to
do so has been removed.  G-P-M seems oriented to LCD displays and
Laptops now, so this may not have been noticed.