update to F11 with yum

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Jun 2 01:01:16 UTC 2009

On Monday 01 June 2009, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Whats the deal in forcing everybody into rawhide when there is a show
>> topper bug extant and holding up the F11 release?
>
>F8's preupgrade is extremely buggy and out of date. (It was beta at the
>time, F9 is the first release where it's really usable.) But it will not
>get fixed as F8 is no longer supported. You should have already upgraded.
>
>I'd suggest just using another upgrade method.
>
>        Kevin Kofler
Well, its busy putting the finishing touches and the reboot to rawhide right
now.  It just asked for a runlevel 3 passwd.

And the first casualty is my accessory usb mouse, its dead and I am stuck with
that totally worthless scratchpad, which I swear picks up the local radio
station, its totally spastic if the hand isn't held so high above the keyboard
when typing that its strictly one finger typing.

So how do I restore that?  Humm, the scratchpad works, but I cannot focus on
an open shell, and the keyboard is also dead after x starts. Not even to a
ctl+alt+bksp.  Now I'll have to hit the power switch & reboot.  I had a
keyboard when I logged in, WTF?  Rebooted via the power switch, and I have a
keyboard and a mouse on tty1 at runlevel 3.

/etc/X11/xorg.conf: Well, I wuz gonna copy it over and insert it, but I can't
make cifs mount it with my usual everything from / stanza.  Password reject,
whatever.  So I need a stanza for its /etc/samba/smb.conf that will let me
mount it from here.  No security, its all behind a dd-wrt firewall.

I'll try the system-config-* stuff if I can find it.  There is no trace of my
original xorg.conf now.  Shouldn't that have been an '.rpmnew'?

So chalk this one up as a broken upgrade I guess.  Not much account when x
can't be used.

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene