update to F11 with yum

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Jun 2 02:14:13 UTC 2009

On Monday 01 June 2009, Gene Heskett wrote:
>On Monday 01 June 2009, David wrote:
>>On 6/1/2009 3:12 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> On Monday 01 June 2009, David wrote:
>>
>>Where did you 'get' the preupgrade.
>
>>From the F8 repos, the ones with the newkey designation.
>
>[..]
>
>>Fedora would never 'force' you to use Rawhide. Although it kicks the
>>poo, IMO, out of Fedora 10. Many changes and improvements. I run Rawhide
>>all of the time anyway.
>
>Well, maybe with 120 updated packages which it is installing now, (this is
>since the rawhide upgrade) the x problem _might_ be fixed.  We'll see.
>
>I'm beginning to feel like Ric, somebody just shoot me & be done with it.
>
>Thanks David.

Update, yum dumped out, complaining that kdegraphics-lib was needed by
kdegraphics-extras-7.3.5.10.fc8.i386, and when I tell it to install it anyway,
returns the same error.  removed it, took nearly 2 minutes! I suspect the cpu
is running at powersave speed, I haven't heard the fan in ages.

But now the rest of the update is errored out, first bitch is about curl, but
it looks like index.bz2 is contaminated.  If I remove it, it takes about 40
pieces of kde with it.  Yum clean all, wash rinse repeat, can somebody bring
me a beer?

Now its going to grab about 100 drpms.  First time I've actually seen that
work.  Hope it does.

But I'm still puzzled, confused and wandering around in a fog.  Surely rawhide
didn't get 120 new packages in the last 2 hours????  Explanations welcomed.
And I still need that beer. :)

And that didn't work.  How can I force yum to overwrite
/usr/share/man/man1/curl.1.gz from the fc8 install with the f11_x64 version?

Its also bitching about all the x86_64 stuff conflicting with the i586 stuff
from kde-4.2.3.  Is there a force option for yum now?  Not according to the
man page, crap...  Burning F10 dvd if I can get my drive to recognize it has a
dvd-r blank disk in it.  Yup, recognized the 2nd disk, so its off to the
races.

Why the hell did I even think about pulling that lappy out and putting it to
use?  ATM, I can't think of a reason that justifies all this hell.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Boob's Law:
	You always find something in the last place you look.