WSJ - Article on Linux netbooks

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Tue Jun 2 06:45:08 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 02 June 2009 00:00:30 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Bill Davidsen wrote:
> > If I scrap my unsupported hardware will you buy me new? And clients, they
> > will probably scrap their old hardware if someone will buy new. If I told
> > them they would have to buy hardware themselves they would scrap Linux,
> > and be cost justified.
>
> You shouldn't have bought hardware not supported by GNU/Linux in the first
> place. Now you blame others for being unable to fix your or your clients'
> screwups.

This is most unhelpful and just likely to lead to flame wars.  Anyone who uses
linux regularly does buy compatible hardware where possible, but you know
well enough that with many devices it's impossible to tell whether they are
compatible or not until you have shelled out the dollars/euros.  We all would
prefer good open-source drivers, but telling us to scrap anything without
them is frankly ludicrous.  We do our best.  Stock knocking us.

Anne