EeePC - Fedora or Ubuntu?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jun 2 22:11:24 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-05-30 at 16:06 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> 4) Most desktop applications are not designed for usage on small
> displays.

This is a problem even on ordinary laptops.  1280 by 800 is not
uncommon, nor are similar low-height resolutions on desktop systems.
I've come across a few applications that are too tall to comfortably
use.  Yo-yoing up and down is not a nice thing to have to do.

> 5) Fedora's standard (gnome) desktop is _fat_ and bloated.

I'd say the same about KDE.  There seems to be too much shovelling in of
features into the desktop, whereas a simpler desktop and optional
add-ons where you want those features, may be better.

e.g. Nautilus is useless as a file manager, it's just a file browser.
I'd get rid of it, but it's a part of the whole desktop.  Like the
engine behind MSIE is also the Windows desktop.  A problem in it, is an
unavoidable problem with everything else.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.21-78.2.41.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.