Upgrade FC3 to FC10

M A Young m.a.young at durham.ac.uk
Wed Jun 3 16:35:07 UTC 2009

On Wed, 3 Jun 2009, Moessbauer, David wrote:

> Yes, we need applications to work in new OS too.
>
> Would CentOS4 address following security concerns:
> 1. Disable Executive Stack - IE: kernel must support NX feature
> 2. Linux Kernel Remote Denial of Service Vulnerability that affects
> kernels prior to 2.6.27.5

CentOS 4 is a clone of Red Hat's RHEL4 minus the trademarked stuff (like
the Red Hat name and Red Hat specific icons)

Jussi Lehtola wrote:
> I suggest you update to CentOS 4 ( http://centos.org/ ), which is
> largely based on Fedora Core 3 so the update should be quite painless.
> You should even be able to do the update with yum.

You might have to tidy up a lot after a yum update (or indeed any other
update from FC3 to CentOS 4), because some packages in a fully patched
version of FC3 (eg. the kernel) will have a higher version number than
Centos 4, since in RHEL security patches are often backported to the
original version of the software in the distribution rather than using the
later version that includes the fix.

 	Michael Young