SOLVED:) Re: Fix /boot/grub/grub.conf to chainload Fedora 11 Preview?? and Fedora 9 with chainloader

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 3 20:00:57 UTC 2009

--- On Wed, 6/3/09, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:

> From: Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com>
> Subject: Re: Fix /boot/grub/grub.conf to chainload Fedora 11 Preview?? and Fedora 9 with chainloader
> To: "Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using Fedora." <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> Date: Wednesday, June 3, 2009, 8:13 AM
> Antonio Olivares wrote:
> > Dear fellow Fedoreans,
> >
> > I have a machine which Windows, and Fedora 9 have
> coexisted happily since Fedora 9 was released.  I
> shrunk the Windows Partition a bit more and setup an empty
> place where I installed Fedora 11 Preview(to update it to
> current Fedora 11 pre or rawhide whichever gets picked up
> via updates)
> >
> > Now I can boot windows and Fedora 11, but can't boot
> Fedora 9, everything is in there I can see the data, I just
> can't boot it.  Here's output of fdisk and grub.conf
> for both Fedora 9 and Fedora 11?? soon to be
> >

> This would have been easier to fix before installing the
> new
> version. Probably the fastest fix is to boot the new
> install, and
> re-install Grub to the boot record of /boot. The boot in
> the rescue
> mode of the install DVD or boot CD. Tell it you want to
> fix
> re-install the boot loader of the F9 install. After
> rebooting into
> F9, edit grub and add a chainloader entry to the F11 /boot
> directory. You can use the Windows entry as an example.
>
> Mike
> --
>
> Black Holes are Where God Divided by Zero.
>

> -----Inline Attachment Follows-----
>
> --

Thanks Mikkel,

But it does not work.  However, cutting and pasting the Fedora 9 grub entries for the kernel lets me boot into Fedora 9, so practically it is a DONE deal.  Thanks for answering the mail much appreciated.  The chainloader stuff did not work in this case, in the other case it worked for a while, but the chainloader stuff failed to load those kernels only GRUB_ appeared on the screen so cutting+pasting the entries solved this issue.

Regards,

Antonio