rsync to clone server A to server B concerns?

Paul Ward pnward at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 4 02:04:43 UTC 2009

Hi,

I want to clone server A to server B using rsync.

If server A is RHEL3 on a hardware mirror and I have a newer server B
that has new hardware and needs to be the same can I use rsync to copy
the OS and installed oracle installation?

My plan is to boot both servers up on a live cd, then copy the data
across the network.
I will first install a minimal install of RHEL3 on server b first then
use rsync.
I am concerned if the server will work afterwards due to different
hardware although both servers are IBM, and other issues like grub,
should I avoid updating grub.

Any advice would be welcome as doing the whole build from fresh and
installing all the custom software would be a pain.

Cheers