Grub problem.

Erik P. Olsen epodata at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 09:39:42 UTC 2009

On 04/06/09 07:25, g wrote:
> Erik P. Olsen wrote:
>> I am currently running a Fedora 10 system, raid1 and 32 bit. I have build a
>> Fedora 11 preview system, this time 64 bit, on the disk from which I boot
>> F10. I have not been able to chainload F11 from F10's grub.conf. Is it at
>> all possible to do that or is there a conflict between the 32 and 64 bit
>> systems which prevents the chainload?
>
> have you considered adding f11 to your f10's /boot/grub/grub.config'?
>
> all you need to do is copy and past your f11's 'title' and next 3 lines
> to bottom of your f10's grub.conf and select at boot which you want.

Thanks a lot, that pointed in the right direction. And yes, I have
considered it and actually tried it with no success. But I thought, why not
try again - however, still no success. Then I noticed that anaconda had
build the root line as "root (hd2,8)" which looked strange since the boot
partition is /dev/sda9. If hd0 would be dev/md then hd1 could be /dev/sda,
so I changed all occurrences of (hd2,8) to (hd1,8) and bingo that did the
final trick.

Tried a last time to chainload into (hd1,8) but got "Geom error", so I am
probably stuck with the first solution which is OK until I dump the F10 system.

--
Erik.