Where is eth0/eth1/assigned -

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Jun 4 20:37:37 UTC 2009

Mike Burger wrote:
>>     I am still struggling with this f10 install. It appeared that the
>>     NIC in eth0 was no good. I pulled it out and left the second card
>>     which was/is eth1.
>>
>>     It looks to me like that designation eth1 might be changed to eth0
>>     using ethtool but if so, I can't find the right command.
>>
>>     I have used service-config-network to set it up as 192.168.1.10 and
>>     eth1, network-scripts is set up for eth1. but no matter what I do a
>>     ping to another computer yields "Network is unreachable."
>>
>>     This is a wired connection. I've tried a different cat5 cable.
>>     "ethtools eth1" looks ok compared to the other computers. Not sure
>>     what I have missed but it would be simpler perhaps if I could
>>     convince the NIC that it was eth0 instead of eth1 but I can't
>>     determine how that is set.
>>
>>     Any help appreciated. I am about at wits end.
>
> Actually, it's probably in your /etc/modprobe.conf file.

It can be, but /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules tends to be
more important - it maps the MAC address to the device name. Then
you may also have the HWADDR=<MAC address> option in your
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg=eth? file. That will provent
the interface from coming up if the MAC address of the NIC does not
match.

You can edit the 70-persistent-net.rules file, or you can delete it
if you want to renumber the NICs. It will be re-created for you the
next time you boot. Change the HWADDR= value requires you do edit
the ifcfg-eth? file. (Hand edit or GUI.)

Mikkel