update to F11 with yum

Alan Evans ame.fedora at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 23:37:15 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 3:57 PM, Sharpe, Sam J wrote:
>> Do you have specific information about it being broken?
>
> It's certainly broken in that it removes something it shouldn't...

I recall some time ago, perhaps FC8 or 9, that trying to remove
wireless-tools would threaten to remove nearly every package on the
system, including the kernel. Was that because yum was broken? It was
certainly threatening to remove something that it shouldn't.

Now, I'm not saying that the plugin isn't broken. Maybe it is. But I
find it very useful. And so far I've only been told that I should toss
it because of some incidence with this symptom. So far I'm not
convinced that some package meta-data isn't behind the scenes causing
the problem indirectly. That's all I'm saying.

I did early on ask if what I was seeing was a bug. I was hoping
someone would help me pinpoint the source so that maybe a bugzilla
could be filed against the appropriate package if it was a bug.
Apparently, that's all wrong-headed -- I should simply uninstall any
component related to a problem on my system. I wonder how much of my
Linux system will survive this policy?