Skype under Fedora-10

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Thu Jun 4 23:50:05 UTC 2009

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:
>> Regardless of your feelings about proprietary software, the vast
>> majority of Windows users--through ignorance, stupidity or laziness--
>> use Skype.  There's no getting around it.  Sorry, but that's just how
>> it is.  No one said life was fair or was going to conform to your
>> expectations, despite how noble they may be.
>
> By accepting that "everyone else uses Skype, so I will too" you're
> contributing to the problem, because the people who want to talk to you
> over VoIP will think the same because of you.

I knew this was going to devolve into a pissing contest.  We have
different views of the world, obviously.  You want it absolutely pure
OSS.  Fine.  I'd like it to be OSS.  No matter how much we want it, it's
simply not going to happen.

I am a realist.  I have to use Skype simply because there are people who
are unwilling, unable or incapable of installing an OSS solution or need
reliable PBX access and don't want a typical DSL-style finger-pointing
session when stuff doesn't work.  Skype is a simple, one-stop-shop for
the technically challenged, OK?  If people want to pay for it, let them.

Let's drop this now.  You're not going to convince me that the world
will become OSS only, and I'm not going to convince you that a mix of
OSS and proprietary stuff is OK.  Let's agree to disagree and move on.
- If at first you don't succeed, quit. No sense being a damned fool! -