Skype under Fedora-10

Gabriel Ramirez gabriello.ramirez at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 03:47:52 UTC 2009

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:
>> Regardless of your feelings about proprietary software, the vast
>> majority of Windows users--through ignorance, stupidity or laziness--
>> use Skype.  There's no getting around it.  Sorry, but that's just how
>> it is.  No one said life was fair or was going to conform to your
>> expectations, despite how noble they may be.
>
> By accepting that "everyone else uses Skype, so I will too" you're
> contributing to the problem, because the people who want to talk to you
> over VoIP will think the same because of you.
>
> By actually REFUSING to install Skype and explaining why (also pointing out
> practical issues, e.g. that 32-bit multilibs are a PITA), you may actually
> get people to install software speaking open protocols, which in turn may
> get their friends to do the same and so on and you may help spreading open
> standards instead of proprietary lock-in.

but at the moment no open source alternative exist, at least in a client
program,

some months ago I searched a alternative not to skype, but MSN, well I
tried to find the following caracteristics:
- Instant Messaging
- chat via Voice/Video
- User friendly client

the only one alternative in opensource was jabber, seems which jabber
have a protocol defined for Video/voice, but no client is available
under Linux supporting Video/Voice, well I don't find one, the only
client available if from google and only runs under windows. so at the
moment no alternative exist at least under Linux, well when I searched
none exists.

I understand your points above propietary software and legacy programs,
my desktop machine run under x86_64, without flash

I discarded SIP because is create another account, already I have too
many accounts by the same reason I discarded skype

Gabriel