Skype under Fedora-10

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Fri Jun 5 11:12:12 UTC 2009

Rick Stevens wrote:

> You don't need to hack the system.  Use H.323/SIP clients (ekiga, etc.)
> and talk computer-to-computer all you want.  I don't buy the "if it's on
> the  Internet it HAS to be free, therefore we should hack into it"
> mantra.  If it's something that services a need I have, I don't mind
> paying for it--in fact I expect to.

Surely one doesn't have to pay for Skype
if it is used through the computer at each end?
Even my wife can do this, so it can't be that difficult.

Incidentally, I looked at various alternatives.
I came to the conclusion that asterisk would require
several weeks, if not months, of study,
while even ekiga challenged my weakening brain-cells.
I thought of getting a SIP-able Siemen's phone,
but didn't get round to it.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net