PS Re: Something bollixing packagekit

Beartooth Beartooth at comcast.net
Fri Jun 5 19:16:23 UTC 2009

On Fri, 05 Jun 2009 13:30:03 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 04:33:25PM +0000, Beartooth wrote:
>> On Fri, 05 Jun 2009 16:01:32 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
>>
>> > When I click the launcher for gpk-update-viewer, it gets an error
>> > popup saying "No network connection available," even though one is,
>> > and every other app is using it. The "Details" in the popup say
>> > merely "Cannot refresh cache whilst offline."
>>
>> 	I happened to think of stopping NetworkManager. Sure enough, now
>> PackageKit works. I hope that tells somebody something.
>
> Is it possible your messagebus (D-Bus) had a problem?  Do you have any
> other D-Bus listeners that are having problems?

	I have no faintest inkling; how do I check? Searching messagebus
got me a file called /etc/rc.d/init.d, which Fedora opened with GVIM.
What I know of any form of vi is how to spell it; but I looked. It's all
in code, of course, and Greek to me; I don't see a mention of NM there.

> The easiest way to test is to reboot and see if the problem persists.
> (Yes, this is not the only way, but it's easiest if you don't want to
> get into start/stopping services, and so forth.)

	We've had several power failures lately; there's crew moving the
power lines from poles to underground. So I've rebooted three or four
times, if not more, just in the last week. The problem has survived that.

> If it *does* persist, check your PK configuration perhaps?
>
> [paul at salma ~]$ grep UseNetworkManager /etc/PackageKit/PackageKit.conf
> UseNetworkManager=true

	I get the same, after I c&p the grep command to a prompt.

> (The default configuration is "true," by the way.)  If PK is supposed to
> be using NetworkManager for managing your network connection and you
> disable a network connection in NM without telling it that you're
> managing it elsewhere, it may tell other apps that no network exists.

	The problem exists only on this one machine. I thought I had
disabled NM some time ago in system-config-services; maybe some reboot
restarted it??

> You can set manual configurations in NetworkManager, or if you set them
> with system-config-network, you can mark them as not to be managed by
> NetworkManager, and PK's heuristics should just do the right thing.

	I have seen those markings somewhere, but don't find them now.
According to gedit, nm-system-settings.conf contains only

[main]
plugins=ifcfg-rh

	I don't find anything jumping out at me in /etc/PackageKit/
PackageKit.conf -- but maybe I wouldn't ...