network question - is this unusual?

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Sat Jun 6 17:56:36 UTC 2009

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 15:29:30 +0100,
>   Anne Wilson <annew at kde.org> wrote:
>
>> I see. So I need to find out whether my daughter's BT router (with a single
>> connection socket) contains a firewall or not.
>>
>> I would have preferred to get rid of it, but it seems to be tied in - they
>> don't allow you access to any settings whatsoever, as far as I can see, so
>> you can't just replace it with a standard router.
>>

> It's nice to have a device you own (in two senses) separate from the equipment
> provided to you by your ISP. One is that for some definitions of fun, it is
> fun to set up traffic shaping on your device. You usually aren't supposed to
> muck with the ISP provided equipment and you need all traffic going through a
> single device to do this well. You can also have a firewall there in addition
> to that on each machine to mitigate the damage done if a machine is
> compromised. And you can keep your ISP from seeing your local traffic. (The
> FBI wants to be able to directly connect to routers in order to be able to
> see traffic that wouldn't normally be propagated to a place they could
> monitor without drawing attention. The project was called private doorbell.
> Cisco denied cooperating with that project way back when, but times change
> and I'm sure the wish is still there.)

Yup!  I second that the alphabet agencies wants to monitor *everything*
and of course there is the US's offensive CyberWar agenda.  And of course,
"they" use the line: "If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry
about." but that is not the point. What "they" actually want is for
normal people/citizens
to be submissive, to give up their own freedoms mainly for the PTB's own
security
(if you are not with us "us", you are "them") and to hell with the
citizen's 4th amendment
rights under the guise of catching terrorist, law-abiding citizens or
not.  Don't forget
Dubya's own proclamation: "It's just a God-Dammed piece of paper...",
and oBAMa
follows suit, so far... Ah, I digress, and this is, but off-topic...