ssh tutorial

Rick Sewill rsewill at cableone.net
Sat Jun 6 23:53:32 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-06-06 at 13:24 -0500, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-06-05 at 23:39 -0700, gmspro wrote:
> > Would anyone tell how to use ssh command in brief?
> >

> Cris gave a great explanation.  and looking at the man page is also a
> must.
>
> In practical terms ssh replaces telnet so that your computer to computer
> connections can be accomplished with encrypted tcp/ip packets.  You can
> establish computer to computer connections with telnet, but it does not
> customarily encrypt which means the content of your connection can be
> sniffed and understood by someone monitoring your network.  ssh prevents
> the sniffer from understanding what is being sent from computer to
> computer.
>
> Because ssh is so much better than telnet, telnet servers are usually
> turned off and not used.
>
> Greg

Chris' explanation is good.

May I suggest the original questioner needs to "find" the information
needed to connect to "that particular" ssh server.  The original
questioner may need to talk with the person (ssh server administrator)
who is running the ssh server.  The ssh server administrator should have
a cookbook telling how to connect to his server.  I am assume the
original questioner is not the ssh server administrator.

The ssh server administrator can configure which ssh protocol version(s)
of ssh will work, what types of authentication will work, whether X11
will will be forwarded, and many other options.  The ssh server
administrator can even force a particular user to execute a specific
program when the user tries to connect.

The ssh server administrator will need to create an account and make
configuration changes to allow people to connect to that account.
Sometimes, a ssh server administrator might create an "anonymous"
account that runs a particular program, such as cvs to allow people to
anonymously retrieve source code.  In every case that I can think of,
the original questioner will need to find documentation on how to
connect or will need to talk with the ssh server administrator.

I would also suggest, using the "-v" option on the ssh command.
I believe one can type ssh -v -v -v user at host
From "man ssh", "
-v      Verbose mode.  Causes ssh to print debugging messages about its
        progress.  This is helpful in debugging connection, authentica-
        tion, and configuration problems.  Multiple -v options increase
        the verbosity.  The maximum is 3.
"

The output from the "-v -v -v" options may help the ssh server
administrator help the original questioner find out what is wrong when
the original questioner tries to connect.