sendmail delivery to local maildir?

Mail Lists lists at sapience.com
Sun Jun 7 16:50:31 UTC 2009

On 06/07/2009 11:54 AM, Christoph Höger wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to have sendmail sending all local mail to a maildir folder
> in my home (thats were all my IMAP mails go), so I can read _all_ my
> mail _everywhere_. Is it possible to convince sendmail to put my mail
>
> a) in maildir format instead of INBOX?

    INBOX is a place for mail not a format - you probably meant mbox
format (INBOX can be in maildir format too ...) mbox is essentially
deprecated and only legacy stuff (like thunderbird) holds onto mbox.

     I am assuming you're asking how to make yoru INBOX folder be
maildir++ format as well.

> b) in ~/Maildir/SOMEFOLDER instead of /var/spool/mail/choeger ? Maybe
> simply by linking?

  Simply add a folder for each user you want in maildir format and it
should just work. You may need to move aside your existing
/var/spool/mail/choeger folder - use your mail client to move the
contents to the imap server - you can put them back in your INBOX later
after its in maildir format.

  ie shutdown sendmail - then add the maildir folders:

     mkdir -p /var/spool/mail/choeger/cur
     mkdir -p /var/spool/mail/choeger/new
     mkdir -p /var/spool/mail/choeger/tmp

      chown -R choeger.choeger /var/spool/mail/choeger

    now procmail will recognize this (its the deliv agent for sendmail)
as maildir and automatically store it in maildir format ... dovecot (if
you're using dovecot for your imap server) will need to have in
dovecot.conf this line:

mail_location = maildir:/var/spool/mail/%u

    Restart sendmail and dovecot and you should be done.

 Good luck.
 gene/