Skype under Fedora-10

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Sun Jun 7 20:15:22 UTC 2009

> but it was very interesting to see how something "useful" like Skype
> is/maybe financed. I was surprised to learn from the article that S
> belongs to eBay....

They paid big money for it, although now the rumour is it's for sale -
and ebay just pulled all the skype icons from the auction site, which has
really started the rumours back up.

> Now... if one is to avoid supporting the proprietary market.... does
> anyone have a quick guide (!) to the Open Source alternatives? An answer
> to the questions like "can I hold an audio meeting with non-Linux
> friends"; "does xyz allow video communication"; "can I use the white
> board via xyz" & so on????

Probably a good starting spot is:

http://www.gnomemeeting.org/

which will also talk to Microsoft Netmeeting

There are also other tools such as twinkle
(http://www.xs4all.nl/~mfnboer/twinkle/index.html)