How and when do updates of apps get into repos?

Jussi Lehtola jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jun 8 12:06:11 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-08 at 13:52 +0200, DB wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A question that has scratched at my grey cell for a time.....
>
> There are apps in repos & there are more recent versions on their home
> pages or in Source Forge - how and when do the updated versions get
> incorporated into the repos?

Once the package maintainer(s) find out there is a new version, build it
and test it in updates-testing.

If you want a package updated you can file a bug in bugzilla or contact
the maintainer via email (you can get their addresses by rpm -q
--changelog package).

> And the other side of the same question.... If I install/build/compile
> or whatever one of these updated versions into my F10, will yum & co be
> able to keep tabs on it or must I keep a running watch on the page I got
> it from?

If you use the Fedora spec file and update its version, it's likely that
things will go nicely. If you install from source (./compile, make &
make install) things will get messy, as there's nothing to keep track of
what's installed on your system.

> And.... if I find an RPM on a non-Fedora site, what are likely/possible
> side-effect consequences of installing it??

Short answer: don't do it. A badly created RPM can botch your system.
--
Jussi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor
jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org