Windows vs Linux

Steven F. LeBrun steven at lebruns.com
Tue Jun 9 16:56:13 UTC 2009

Tait Clarridge wrote:
> [...]
I have been quite happy with OpenOffice 3.0 as a substitute for
Microsoft Office.  While OpenOffice may not have all the features of
Microsoft Office, I never used all of the features of Microsoft Office.
The one piece that I have not explored yet is OpenOffice Base, when used
with MySQL (or other databases) is a replacement for Microsoft Access.
Base lets you build reports and forms; I just have not had the time yet
to master it.

I used Crossover to run Microsoft Office on Redhat 7.0 (many, many moons
ago) and was not happy with it.  Will the Office programs ran just like
they did in Windows, they made Linux also run like Windows -- needing to
be rebooted several time a day.  Again, that was back in 2002; Crossover
and Wine have gone through major improvements so I would be very much
surprise to see that behavior still existing today.

The Mono project comes with Fedora and its IDE is MonoDevelop.  The Mono
project allows you to develop and run C# and .NET applications.  There
is also DotGnu for C# and .NET development.  You probably have to
download the DotGnu source from their website
http://www.gnu.org.software/dotgnu since there is not a DotGnu package
in Fedora 10 (I do not know if it is in Fedora 11).

My preference is to use Eclipse and Emacs for development but
alternatives are available.

As for games, I do not play enough of the heavy duty, graphical
intensive games to say much hear.  I did get the game Physicus to run on
Fedora 10 using Wine.  Physicus is written to run on Vista and XP and
does use 3-d  graphics.

--
  Steven F. LeBrun

Quote: /"There are 10 types of people in this world, those that
understand binary and those who don't."/