OT: Can Reformatting A Hard Drive To ext3 Destroy All the Data On It?

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Wed Jun 10 20:08:33 UTC 2009

Henrik Schmiediche wrote:
> Check out:
>

> http://www.dban.org
>

> -          Henrik

shred (man shred) will do it.  "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda" would do
it.  Not that none of these guarantee that a disk will be unreadable.
Not even commercial programs.

No matter how many times you rewrite the media, someone with equipment
sophisticated enough may be able to read the data.  The only way to
ensure that a drive is unreadable is to physically destroy the platters.
Scraping off the magnetic coating into a fine dust is probably the
best...it would be possible, given enough time, to reconstruct a
shattered platter.

> I haven´t done this task from Linux, but if you´ve got access to a windows
> computer (or VM)  and you can install the drive into an external USB
> enclosure, use this GPL program
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/eraser/
>
> FC

-  You know the old saying--any technology sufficiently advanced is  -
-               indistinguishable from a Perl script                 -
-                                 --Programming Perl, 2nd Edition    -