language input

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Jun 11 03:52:59 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-06-11 at 09:46 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > On Wed, 2009-06-10 at 08:50 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> >
> >> KDE 4 / Fedora 10
> >>
> >> I am trying to add Chinese language. I added via yum, scim-pinyin
> >> kde-l10n-Chinese openoffice.org-langpack-zh_CN (and dependencies).
> >>
> >> I have enabled the Chinese keyboard in systemsettings and have logged
> >> out and logged back in again.
> >>
> >> I have the keyboard switcher between English and Chinese in my task bar
> >> and can switch back and forth but if I start either openoffice.org or
> >> kwrite, neither allow me to type Chinese like I can in Windows. What do
> >> I need to do?
> >>
> > ----
> > I have to believe that some people switch their input language/keyboards
> > in Linux. No one?
> >

> Sorry it too so long.  My F10 system is a virtual machine and I don't
> normally use it.  Also, it is my wife that inputs Simplified Chinese.
>
> She doesn't use pinyin but python-pinyin.
>
> Logged in...  Started ooffice writer...did Ctrl+Shift and started
> typing.  SCIM is also configured such that alt-shift toggles through the
> configured input methods.
>
> So, basically, no problem here with python-pinyin.  She did try to use
> pinyin but couldn't get it to work...not sure why since she was in a
> hurry to get to work and said she would try it later...  I'll see if I
> can....in a bit.
----
thanks Ed - I think I'm going to bed for the night but I did install
python-pinyin and even think maybe I need to actually launch scim...

$ scim -d
Smart Common Input Method 1.4.7

Launching a SCIM daemon with Socket FrontEnd...
Creating backend ...
Reading pinyin phrase lib failed
desc table has been created.
Starting SCIM as daemon ...
Launching a SCIM process with x11...
Creating backend ...
GTK Panel of SCIM 1.4.7

Starting SCIM as daemon ...
SCIM has been successfully launched.

but I still haven't figured out how to input any Chinese characters from
the keyboard. I don't think this is a pinyin issue.

Craig

believed to be clean.