Fedora11 issue with IDE ZIP?

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Thu Jun 11 09:00:46 UTC 2009

On 11 Jun 2009 at 16:36, Tim wrote:

From:           	Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au>
To:             	"Community assistance, encouragement,
	and advice for using Fedora." <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Date sent:      	Thu, 11 Jun 2009 16:36:11 +0930
Subject:        	Re: Fedora11 issue with IDE ZIP?
Send reply to:  	"Community assistance, encouragement,
	and advice for using Fedora." <fedora-list at redhat.com>
	and advice for using Fedora." <fedora-list.redhat.com>
	<mailto:fedora-list-
request at redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe>
	<mailto:fedora-list-
request at redhat.com?subject=subscribe>

> On Thu, 2009-06-11 at 16:48 +1000, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> > In attempting to install Fedora 11, I ran into an issue with an IDE
> > ZIP drive.  When it got to the section on disk partition, it would
> > crash with an error about the Zip disk. I had to physically disconnect
> > the Zip to get it to work?
> >
> > My lab has Zips in each computer as hdb, but we seldom use them. I am
> > hoping they can be reconnected after the install process. Anyone else
> > seen this?
>
> I encountered that when installing Fedora Core 4, and earlier, on one
> PC.  In my case it seemed to be a BIOS issue, and the Zip drive being an
> ATAPI device that confused the machine as to which was the drive it
> should boot from to install the OS.  So I disconnected for the install,
> reconnected afterwards, and things worked fine.

Thanks for the reply. I've installed Redhat 9 thru Fedora 10 on this machines
with no issues with the ZIP disk. The Zip is set to not installed in the BIOS,
but the 98, XP, and Fedora had no problem seeing it after boot. Not sure
why it is even looking at the disk. I choose to install using the exist linux
partitions, so why the partition section was looking at the zip at all, and why it
would result in a fatal error.

> Test on one of your machines, to see what happens for you.
>
> --
> [tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
> 2.6.27.24-78.2.53.fc9.i686
>
> Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored.  I
> read messages from the public lists.
>

> --

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
SETI 7,960,139.5190 | EINSTEIN 2,602,020.7809 | ROSETTA
964,520.3532