turning off SELinux during install?

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 17:04:09 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 11:56 AM, Peter Teuben<teuben at astro.umd.edu> wrote:

> One of the things I still need to turn off during the install is SELinux.
> Don't ask me why, it just needs to be off.
>
> Why is it that there isn't an advanced option for this during the
> install, or did I miss this? During the Fedora 11 install, as usual I
> re-use my existing account on /home (from a non-distro bound partition)
> but this time I got a message saying
>
>   "fixing attributes for home directory ...."
>
> which i'm sure was SELinux based. After patiently waiting for 10 minutes,
> I just gave up and went back, made a temp account, rebooted and turned
> SELinux off. What on earth does it need to do to my (admittedly large)
> home directory that it take more than 10 minutes, that wasn't a way
> to impress me, I don't remember this feature in previous versions of Fedora.

It's checking that each of your files in your home directory are
labeled correctly so that rogue programs don't access them and share
them with those who you'd probably not intended to share them. 10mins
is probably linearly related to your home directory size, and hard
drive speed.

--
Fedora 10
(www.pembo13.com)