Printing over network from VirtualBox

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 11 17:40:38 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-06-10 at 23:57 -0400, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> Has anyone figured out how to create a printer instance to print from a
> VirtualBox WinXP guest (on F10) to a network attached printer?
>
> The docs did not help, nor did google. One 'answer' stated to enter
> //servername/printers/myprinter as the URI, with the implication that
> servername is the host computer the printer is connected to, and
> 'myprinter' is some descriptor of the actual printer.
>
> This seems a little disconnected when dealing with a network capable
> printer (all puns intended).
>
> In F10 my printer is called Netprinter2 and accessed as
> lpd://192.168.1.12/dummy (It's an HP3955 MFC). Various combinations of
> this info produced only an error box to the effect that Windows could
> not find a printer...
> Can anyone help?
>
> Geoff

I don't know if this will help but recewntly I searched for an URI that
would allow me to print from Fedora to a Windows XP based pronter that
the foll,owing worked:

smb://WINSERVERNAME
\WinUserID:Password at WINDOMAIN/winservername/PrinterName

 where:
       WINSERVERNAME is the DNS name of the Windows machine
       WinUserID is the userid of a valid login user on the Windows
machine
       Password is the password for the above Windows userid
       WINDOMAIN is the domain name or workgroup name to which the
Windows
 machine belongs
     winservername is the windows machine name again

 and   PrinterName is the name of the printer you are trying to print to

This assumes you have samba-client installed.