Which directory contents I can remove??

Nifty Fedora Mitch niftyfedora at niftyegg.com
Thu Jun 11 22:36:34 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jun 07, 2009 at 09:19:29PM +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-06-06 at 21:03 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > Normally you don't have to. There is supposed to be cron job that
> > deletes files /tmp and /var/tmp that haven't been read or written in a
> > while.
>
> Doesn't work here (several computers, configured differently, over quite
> a few releases of Fedora), and I don't know why.  I've done the obvious,
> of pruning out the /tmp path from things like the make whatis
> configuration.  And I don't run any additional filesystem indexing
> tools.

With your updates and upgrades history it makes sense to work through
the list of .rpmnew and .rpmsave file that I am sure you have a list of.

/etc/cron.daily/tmpwatch should be running and doing the necessary
cleanup....   You may wish to give it a harder look.   Laptops
and some home systems are not up long enough or at the right time of
day for some house keeping to run as expected.  Mostly these are fixed
issues but once a month let the system see a full 24 hours.   And yes
in some cases the inverse is justified.  A reboot can clean up some
anomalies caused by library and program object updates and long running programs.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Found me a new hat, now what?