Skype under Fedora-10

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Jun 12 14:18:22 UTC 2009

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> writes:
>> And their system has plenty of other unsavoury aspects to it.  The
>> more anyone reverse engineers their closed system, the more
>> disagreeable things are found out about it.
>
> Normally one just has to worry about theoretical problems with trojans
> hidden inside binary programs like skype.  In this case, it is quite
> clear from looking at the traffic that skype was stealing user's
> bandwidth for carrying totally unrelated 3rd-party voice traffic by
> looping it into and out of the user's system.
>
>     http://chris.pirillo.com/are-you-a-skype-supernode/
>
> Just the fact that they are doing this makes me wonder what other stuff
> they are pulling.

This is only slightly different from the way bittorrent works, and they seem
relatively open about it, it's not some secret protocol under the covers. I
suspect that if it was open source people would rave about sharing the resources
for the good of all, or some such.

> (And yes, they *now* have a flag to turn off this trojan mode after all
> the raised eyebrows.)

On bittorrent those folks are called leaches...

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>