F10: GIMP and Banshee stopped using fonts AA

Misha Shnurapet zayzayats at yandex.ru
Fri Jun 12 16:25:09 UTC 2009

I updated freetype and freetype-freeworld from the stable F10 repo. Now
GIMP and Banshee draw fonts without anti-aliasing and subpixel-hinting.
The rest of DE and its apps OK.

I installed installed cairo-freeworld and libXft-freeworld from
http://www.infinality.net/blog/?p=5 but nothing changed.

I have these packages installed:

freetype-2.3.7-3.fc10 (x86_64)
freetype-freeworld-2.3.7-2.fc10 (x86_64)
cairo-1.8.0-1.fc10 (x86_64)
cairo-freeworld-1.8.6-2.fc11 (x86_64)
libXft-2.1.13-1.fc10 (x86_64)
libXft-freeworld-2.1.13-1.fc11.x86_64
gimp-2:2.6.6-1.fc10 (x86_64)
gimp-libs-2:2.6.6-1.fc10 (x86_64)
banshee-1.4.2-4.fc10 (x86_64)

$ cat /etc/fonts/local.conf
        <?xml version='1.0'?>
        <!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM 'fonts.dtd'>
        <fontconfig>
            <match target="font" >
                <edit mode="assign" name="rgba" >
                    <const>rgb</const>
                </edit>
                <edit mode="assign" name="hinting" >
                    <bool>true</bool>
                </edit>
                <edit mode="assign" name="autohint" >
                    <bool>true</bool>
                </edit>
                <edit mode="assign" name="antialias" >
                    <bool>true</bool>
                </edit>
                <edit mode="assign" name="hintstyle" >
                    <const>hintmedium</const>
                </edit>
                <edit name="lcdfilter" mode="assign">
                    <const>lcddefault</const>
                </edit>
            </match>
        </fontconfig>

        # cat /etc/X11/Xresources
        ! This is the global resources file that is loaded when
        ! all users log in, as well as for the login screen

        ! Fix the Xft dpi to 96; this prevents tiny fonts
        ! or HUGE fonts depending on the screen size.
        !Xft.dpi: 96

        ! hintstyle: medium means that (for Postscript fonts) we
        ! position the stems for maximum constrast and consistency
        ! but do not force the stems to integral widths. hintnone,
        ! hintslight, and hintfull are the other possibilities.
        !Xft.hintstyle: hintmedium
        !Xft.hinting: true

        Xft.autohint: true
        Xft.lcdfilter:  lcddefault
        Xft.hintstyle:  hintmedium
        Xft.hinting: true
        Xft.antialias: true
        Xft.dpi: 97
        Xft.rgba: rgb

Would someone please give me a hint on how to make them work?

--
Misha Shnurapet